Family Prep Guide
First off, thank you for scheduling with me! I look forward to our session! This guide is here to help give you steps for getting prepared for your photo session. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to me!
The most commonly asked question before a session is "what should we wear?" which I totally understand because that's the hardest part! The first thing to consider is the location, decide what kind of "vibe" you're going for to base your outfits on. Another good thing to consider is the interiors of your home, after all these photos will be on your walls! You'll want your outfits to coordinate with one another, not matching. When styling your session, I always say dress mom first and go from there (of course this is just a suggestion, not a requirement!). If you want to buy all new clothes, do it! If you want to wear clothes you already own, that is just as good! Just make sure to try them on before the day of the session. Don't be scared to send me pictures of your outfit options! I love to be involved
Things to keep in mind :
- Comfort : you want everyone to be comfy during your session. We'll be moving around during our whole session, you don’t want an outfit that keeps shifting out of place or doesn't move freely. I know we don't want our kids in their favorite traffic T-Shirt for photos, but we also don't want them in something they're going to be uncomfortable in either! You'll have to hear about it the whole session. For guys this means that shirts that look good untucked are usually better since you will be playing and moving around with your kids and you don’t want to have to keep tucking in your shirt.
- Confidence : make sure everyone feels GOOD in what they're wearing! If someone is feeling insecure in their outfit, chances are that'll be their main focus. We want everyone to feel beautiful!
- Accessorize : maybe some simple hair bows or headbands, painted nails, bowties or suspenders for the kiddos. Jewelry, cute hats, scarves, blankets, etc. Anything to add some extra layers to your style.
- Subtle Patterns : you don't want to have everyone in different patterns as that can be distracting, but to have a person or two in pattern is a great way to add some pop or personality to your session. Thick flannel plaid is always my go to!
- Textures : things like denim, chunky knit, lace, wool, faux fur. These help add dimension and help make your photos stand out!
- Color : make sure your color pallet compliments each other. Colors that will stand out the best are muted earthy tones (pastels, mauve, mustard, hunter green, dark reds and oranges, khaki or browns, dark blue)
- Weather : PLEASE dress for the weather. If there's snow outside, wear a warm sweater or a jacket! We can tell if you're freezing and uncomfortable in the photos, don't make yourself suffer. Same goes for warmer weather, don't overheat yourself. As for the kids, always bring cardigans or something to layer! Cold kiddos will equal sad photos.
- MAKE IT YOUR OWN : this session is about your family! The most important thing is that your family shines.
Things to avoid :
- logos/distracting patterns : shirts with giant logos can distract from your beautiful faces. Just no. And try to avoid any small patterns (think small dots or small stripes) as it can cause your clothes to have a "wavy" or distorted look.
- bright/bold colors : try to avoid any bright oranges or reds. No neon colors (hot pink, lime, highlighter yellow). Think the muted tones of whatever bright color you're wanting! Example : if you're wanting bright yellow, think mustard yellow instead.
- Matchy-matchy : matching outfits are super cute but they can also seem very redundant. Having different colors, patterns, textures is super important to create interest and diversity in your family images. If you're wanting everyone in the same color, try doing everyone in a different shade of that color!
What to expect :
My main focus is to photograph your family in the current season of your lives. Think moments and not poses! At your session, I will direct you into "poses" and then we will move around in those. Get some tickles in! Feel free to move about these poses, movement creates so many beautiful moments to be captured! We will get beautiful posed photos as well as the in-betweens. This is supposed to be fun so don't forget to let the kids be kids too!
Things to remember :
- Have fun! It's so important that you and your family enjoys this experience. It will definitely show in your photos if someone is just not having it. Time to relax and love your family!
- Always touching : be sure to always be touching someone. Whether it be a hug or a snuggle, hand on a shoulder. This shows connection and love.
- Don't stress : if the kiddos are nervous or acting a little crazy, that is okay! I embrace children in every aspect of themselves. Try not to focus on getting them to force a smile, instead try snuggling or tickles to get some genuine smiles! Being with them in the moment and having fun is most important!
- Bring snacks/treats, water, blanket, jacket/cardigan, more snacks (no one thinks they want fruit snacks in their photos. But if that's what it takes to get your kiddo to enjoy them, I'm all for it!)
What Next? :
The first question after a session always is "now when do we get our photos back?" The anticipation after a session makes it seem like such a long wait to get your photos back! For my clients who accept the model release, you'll get a sneak peek after just 24 hours! And then your full gallery are delivered between two-four days (depending on the season). Your photos will be delivered to you in an online gallery. You will be able to download two sizes for these photos. One size being a condensed size, best for your phones and social media and the other size being the high resolution photos for printing! The high resolution ones are the ones I suggest saving onto your computer or a thumb drive for long term. If you need help downloading your images, please reach out to me! Don't screenshot them as it lowers the quality of the photos! Your gallery will stay active for 30 days and then it will be archived. And if you need a print release, it is located in the client area of my website!